Thursday, April 27, 2006

ALIVE

What is really important? What if? Should I be afraid?

The picture above could have easily been the last thing my eyes ever saw, because about a minute before it was taken I heard a sound of a rock bouncing of the cliffs above. Then the bouncing sound was replaced by a swoosh and a bang of this boulder of a rock landing about a meter from my head. If it bull-eyed, my helmet wouldn't stand a chance of saving me...

Of coarse you can say: why are you crazy bastard going to moutains, where there are all sorts of dangers anyway... But is it really so safe to live "normally"? Have you never been in a situation or an accident which could easily have been fatal? Don't forget that there are around 300 people killed in a country as small as Slovenia on roads alone. Are you sure it can't happen to you?

How do these existence situations affect my future life? Should I go overboard with safety and lock myself in a fortified room in the basement, which will hopefully save me from terrorist attacs, nuclear war, global warming, aliens and raging student protests...?

Hell NO! The time given to us is short. And it would suck if the only thing I filled it with was staring at walls, beeing afraid that something might happen. There are only that many things that we can control. And if we worry about the ones that we can't, we let fear take over our lives ( which leads to the dark side :) ) . What we can do on the other hand, is focus on the things that we can control and bravely do what we decide is important to enrich the time we have left.

...after my adrenaline levels lowered and I stopped shaking, I took the photo so I will remember and walked up to the Sun.

The ski descent through the coluar was perfect... I will make sure to get as many opportunites for positive experiences in the future as possibile.

( yes, and the next post is not going to include moutains and skiing so you might as well not give up on me and continoue reading )

2 comments:

x said...

Jure, you know you're a good friend and everything, but honestly I sometimes question the sanity of anyone who engages in sports like that. Yes granted driving a bike down Dunajska in Ljubljana is not mush safer but it has a practical side to it. It gets me from A to B. But if it's fun and it's something you like doing, than go ahead, just stay safe.

* said...

Thanks for remiding me to be as safe as possible. Don't worry too much, becaouse I am not stupid and I NEVER take uneccesary risks.

If we look at the matter in this way all I can say is this: I do it because: 1. I want to stay fit 2. I love the adrenaline& endorfines ( yes I am a bit of an addict) 3. I always get nice skin color when I go and do things like that 4. I satisfy all specter of psychological needs this way. 5. I get out of rooms with white walls :)...So in this, subjective view, it is far more than just getting from A to B. I could even say it is being trully ALIVE, not only being alive & trapped in the room with white walls ;) .