Thursday, January 25, 2007

Test cheating

As usually, when I was Internet shopping for something else, I found this link to a PDA watch. Since I am currently studying for the last exam that includes knowing by heart what the legislation says, I got interested... and here are my thoughts on the subject:
  1. There is a very slim chance of actually getting caught, since there are more then fifty students writing this exam at the same time, while only one assistant is "watching". And having text law in front of me would really make it simple to get a good grade, especially considering that I can upload other helpful texts on theories as well.
  2. I am not going to invest into this device and cheat, because I could get expelled just before finishing. Furthermore, I would hate the feeling the already "lost" studying time. You may call it pride, but I can't cheat on myself anymore.
  3. If I were a freshmen would I use this device? Well, considering the risk of getting caught, maybe. It is true that I would always have to invest into more advanced technologies, to be one step ahead from the assistants, and would have to find a suitable solution for certain oral exams, but in the end I would almost surely have a higher average grade.
  4. The most bothering question is: Would I be worse at my profession because of cheating in college? Here, I am not so sure anymore, because I would have all my "knowledge" digitalised, and would know precisely where to find it. I would therefore surely be much more organised and would be able to find the needed information much faster. But, on the other hand would I develop a feeling for doing my job? I am not sure that skipping learning things by heart would critically reduce that. Of course I am not talking about also skipping the part where you actually have to understand what you study, just the stupid enumerations and articles. No good lawyer actually goes and learns articles by hearth, he is good because he knows which articles to use and how to get to them fast.
  5. So do I recommend cheating? I believe it is up to every individual to decide what he wants and what kind of risks he is willing to accept. But even if risks are considered too high, the power of technology and "digitalisation" should not be overlooked.
  6. I wonder how my grandchildren cheating devices will look like?

No comments: