Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Five stages of grief

  1. Is another example of an urban myth, produced by a combination of time, social interactions and TV shows. Why do I think it is bullshit? I recommend you this interesting article about it.
  2. However, the psychological principle behind the misused idea of The Five Stages of Coping with Trauma is not trivial and can be used very broadly (I'll have some fun with it, to see if I get it):

For example lets say a guy is dating a pretty girl, falls madly in love...but without notice (at least from his perspective) she dumps him for a more attractive guy:

  • DENIAL ---No f....g way. She is probably just joking. She couldn't just be with him. We have so much chemistry. Anyway I have plans for a really romantic date tonight...
  • ANGER ---Bi..h! She is such a s..t! (Imagine smashing sounds in the background) I should probably kill her and that play-boy of hers. (I ran out of ideas so please think of a Jerry Springer show...)
  • BARGAINING ---(realizing that he is going to be solo for a while)... "Maybe I should give her another chance, it was perhaps just a slip...". - In this stage I can imagine sleazy and beggy phone calls and SMS's, demanding a date that will "make things right".
  • DEPRESSION ---"Oh God, I am such a loser. I couldn't even keep her. How on hell am I ever going to get a girl as great as her? I'll die alone! My feelings for her are killing me! It would be best, if I just kill myself. Rozamunda, I still love you!"
  • ACCEPTANCE ---"She is gone and now I know she wasn't really my type. But there are many other nice Young ladies. I am going out tonight and I am going to be really sharp..."

I hope, you enjoyed reading this example as much as I enjoyed writing it. Sadly I lack some creative imagination! But I know I'll be able to get through this trauma (lack of imagination!) by using The Five Stages of Coping with Trauma.

2 comments:

x said...

So I'm guessing it's not complicated anymore?

:)

* said...

The story was fictional. Thank god.

Anyways, thanks for reminding me to update a few facts ;).