Monday, April 02, 2007

Ride, si sapis

  • Sometimes dead languages make sense. Why? Simply, because they can say so much with so little words. They also add a sprinkle of mystery and importance to the ideas used. That is why I like Latin.
  • I still owe you the translation/ my explanation of the title of this post. I think it is an example of Latin at its best, short, effective and memorable: Laugh, if you are wise!
  • It is really effective, because in three short words is says more than English does in: I am an optimist, it doesn't make much sense being anything else.

  • For debating and adjudicating I love this one: Argumenta ponderantur, non numerantur. I know translation isn't needed... sometimes I feel understanding of the idea behind those words would be. For more thoughts on debating visit http://sidebate.blogspot.com.

No comments: