Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Is failing to plan, planing to fail?

  • On December 30Th this year I am going to do a radical change! I am going to start to plan my life in far greater detail. Why 30.12. and haven't I done planning until now?
  • Well, I agree, that making new year a fresh start is something less than intelligent because the date itself has little or no logic behind it. So it is better to choose your own "I will change" date instead of having it forced to you. I am still considering 29.12 :) . Free choices are also crucial to personal happiness, because no one can feel the satisfaction of completing planned things on a certain day, for me. Furthermore, using my given time more optimally, should help unleash my potential... and before I start sounding like a philosophical self-help guru, lets get to the practical details...
  • I don't want to become a freak obsessed with planning every minute of his day. For example if I feel like brushing my teeth for an extra minute / or going on a short coffe break with a friend I met on the street my daily schedule shouldn't suffer for it. On the other hand, I want to know how I invested my most valuable asset: 16 hours of being awake. The idea is to decide which things are important for me daily and do them right.
  • I am still deciding if I should make my planning digital or very analog - paper planner. Currently I am downloading some personal organizer software and hopefully some of it will be useful. Perhaps I will even go for the planner that my mobile phone producer supplied. Or get a PDA. ALL IDEAS/EXPERIENCES/STORIES ARE VERY APPRECIATED! Update: Saddly technology feels so useles compared to paper & pen sometimes.
  • But as always, the philosophical question remains... will I really fail if I am less efficient and leave certain things on the sidetrack? I believe that the best way to find that out is to leave philosophy on the sidetrack and try it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm hopeless. Tried both pen and paper and full on digital solution encompassing PDA, phone and laptop synching when possible over variety of protocols (BlueTooth, WiFi, HTTP, ...). Was fun to set up (burned way too much time though) but ultimately failed because I often couldn't be bothered to add new entries. The only thing that really works for me is a completely external solution more commonly known as a personal assistant. Or to be totally blunt, people bitching what I need to do.